The prestigious and hugely competitive Devon Tourism Awards 2017 announced its winners last night in Plymouth. The English Riviera was awarded an outstanding six Gold Awards, Two Silver Awards, one Bronze Award, one Special Award and the coveted ‘Winner of Winners Award’ – the highest number of awards ever won by the resort in the Devon Tourism Awards.
Six Gold Awards were won by:
- The 25 – bed and breakfast of the year
- The Cary Arms – best spa hotel in Devon
- The Cary Arms – small/boutique hotel of the year
- The Haytor Hotel – access and inclusivity
- Guardhouse Café – café/tearoom of the year
- The Elephant – restaurant/bistro of the year
Silver Awards were won by:
- Cantina Coastal Café – café/tearoom of the year
- Reach Outdoors – active and sporting experience
Bronze Award won by:
- Old Vienna – restaurant/bistro of the year
Special Tourism Award for Community Engagement was won by:
- Paignton Zoo for the Big Rhino Project
The ‘Winner of Winners’ Award
- The 25 bed and breakfast – Torquay
Carolyn Custerson, Chief Executive of the English Riviera BID Company said, “This outstanding performance in the 2017 Devon Tourism Awards is evidence of the excellent progress being made in terms of developing the English Riviera as a world class destination. The English Riviera won more awards last night than any other area in Devon and we are hugely proud of all our winners.’’
Now in their 8th year the awards saw a record 205 entries entering 25 different categories, with 76 awards announced on the night following a three phase judging process involving 120 judges.
The event at the Guildhall Plymouth was enhanced by illuminating presentations from Simon Calder on global factors in tourism and an uplifting talk from Arctic explorer Ann Daniels, who lives in Devon.
The full list of Winners and award categories can be viewed at www.devontourismawards.org.uk