ERBID COMPANY TO INVEST MORE HEAVILY IN KEY EVENTS
NEW English Riviera Event Development Fund
Events are an integral part of the tourism offering on the English Riviera. Their economic importance can’t be underestimated to our partners; whether boosting accommodation occupancy, increasing food/drink/attraction spend by overnight and day visitors, in increased council parking revenue, and in maintaining businesses and business rates.
As a company the English Riviera BID Company already support the promotion of Events in the following ways:
- We promote every event and festival listed by the organiser on the official English Riviera website which is managed by the English Riviera BID Company.
- We distribute events leaflets and display posters at the English Riviera Visitor Information Centre.
- We promote key events via Facebook and Twitter, shouting loudest about events that benefit the maximum number of English Riviera BID Company levy payers.
- We promote events through our ongoing work with the Press and Media.
In addition to this, the company has made the decision to extend this support through the introduction of a new Event Development Fund for 2019 as part of the company’s Destination Marketing Strategy. This aligns with one of the key objectives of the English Riviera Tourism Business Improvement District (ERBID): to ‘protect and grow the year-round volume and value of Torbay’s tourism industry’ (p.5 ERBID Business Plan).
We will continue to support events as above, however for 2019 the English Riviera BID Company are looking to increase support and provide the following:
- Business planning and strategic event development support
- Support in fund-raising, including preparing and writing bids
- Targeted funding, subject to meeting certain criteria
Our Key objectives include working with events that:
- Align with the English Riviera BID’s business plan objectives, and which support the promotion of the English Riviera brand
- Have the potential to attract additional regional, national and international visitors
- Currently, or in the future, work closely with other levy partners (e.g. accommodation, attractions, transport and food & drink) to maximise promotion locally and across the English Riviera
- Are held (in the main) outside the summer school holidays
- Are financially sustainable in future years without English Riviera BID Company support
- Can be evaluated by collecting data on attendance, spend and visitors’ origin
The Events Focus Group
The 2019 Events Fund will be managed by the new Events Focus Group, chaired by Martin Brook, Vice Chair of the English Riviera BID Company. The Events Focus Group will consist of representatives from the different tourism sectors across the English Riviera and will include: accommodation, attractions, transport, food and drink operators, event organisers, Torbay Council and the chief executive of the English Riviera BID Company.
The Events Focus Group will take a strategic view on the development of events as an integral part of the company’s Destination Marketing Strategy and will aim to maximise our competitiveness as a leading UK holiday destination. Decisions on applications for funding will be made by the Events Focus Group. The standard maximum amount for any one event will be allocated is £5,000.
The Application Process
The process to apply involves two-stages:
- Submission of an initial Expression of Interest to the chairman of the Events Focus Group. This can be as an email with a request for an initial discussion.
- Submission of a detailed application form which you can download below:
The first stage submission deadline is 31st March 2019