English Riviera BID Volume and Value Performance 2011-2018
Visitor estimates are calculated using the Cambridge Model. The Cambridge Model is a computer-based model developed to calculate estimates of the volume, value and economic impact of tourism on a County or District basis. It draws on the combined experience of PA Cambridge Economic Consultants Ltd, Geoff Broom Associates and the former Regional Tourist Boards and utilises a standard methodology capable of application throughout the UK. The approach was the subject of independent validation (R.Vaughan, Bournemouth University) in December 1994. The Model was judged robust and the margins of error acceptable and in line with other modelling techniques. More recently the model was also recognised as suitable for modelling tourism activity by the ONS Tourism Intelligence Unit.
Since the changes in tourism structures in 2011 the model is now operated under license by four commercial providers in the UK. The South West Research Company Ltd is the only provider with access to the South West specific model which has been used in the region and Devon and districts historically and the company directors have been operating the model for approximately 18 years. The model is used across many different UK regions and has been used in the South West for more than 20 years.
The model utilises information from national tourism surveys and regionally/locally based data. It distributes regional staying visitor activity as measured in those surveys to local areas using ‘drivers’ such as the accommodation stock and occupancy which influence the distribution of tourism activity at local level. For day visits different local ‘drivers’ such as attraction footfall, quality and size of countryside and coastline are factored into the model to distribute trips.
Visitor Statistics 2005-2016
- Performance on the Riviera was broadly similar to the region overall with visitors increasing by …More »
- A total of 79 responses were recorded for March 2019, 19 responses fewer than was …More »
- A total of 79 responses for February. Approximately a third of accommodation businesses responding to …More »
- January shows English Riviera visitor numbers -1.7% and turnover -1.1% compared to January 2018, slightly …More »
- December shows English Riviera visitor numbers -0.9% and turnover +0.5% compared to December 2017, slightly …More »